Trinity College – Long Walk

The historic Long Walk buildings are the very heart of the Trinity College campus. Their restoration and renovation required the full range of Smith Edwards McCoy Architects’ preservation skills. This complex of historic buildings, designed by William Burges and completed in 1897, underwent complete exterior restoration including stone masonry, steel windows, leaded glass, slate roofing and copper flashings, copper gutter systems and stone and terracotta ornamentation. The plans of the buildings were modified in order to recreate the original entry and suite layouts, and the interiors were likewise renovated to provide code-complying exitways and fire stairs, new bathroom facilities, restored finishes and new furnishings.

Smith Edwards McCoy also coordinated the mechanical improvements to the buildings, including new heating and cooling systems, upgrade of electrical service, extended fire alarm and sprinkler protection, and a new hard-wired telecommunications systems within the extended campus-wide computer networking system.

This project received an AIA/CT Design Award in 2009.

CLIENT

Trinity College

COST

$35,000,000

STATUS

Completed 2008


Trinity College Long Walk Dromatories

Trinity College Detail

Trinity College Inside